SEARCH CORKYSAINTCLAIR BLOG

Monday, January 31, 2011

OWL







I think this is the coolest thing I've seen on ebay. I kinda want this owl jug even though it costs $2000USD.

From the ebay listing:
One of the rarest examples of ancient Roman North African ceramic art that we have ever seen, dating to around 300 AD.
A miniature 'plastic' terracotta jug depicting a seated, laterally facing Owl. The modelling, including the incised work on the feathers, is exceptional.
This miniature ceramic oenochoe was probably made to hold cosmetics or other valuable ointments.
Remnants of red pigment. 
Height: 2  7/8 inches.
Width: 2  1/2 inches.
Condition: Excellent; restored from one or two sections with little infill. The base and lip consolidated.
Provenance: English private collection.
For a similar quality ceramic see lot 166, 8th June 2004, Christie's New York.

No comments:

Subscribe

Subscribe

BIO

My photo
I like rainbows, crystals, coloured pencils, swimming, manifesting, visualising, poetry, going out for breakfast, graphic novels, air conditioning, miniature anything, clothing made from synthetic fabrics, travelling, travelling, staying in nice hotels, headphones, husbears + soft hands. I don't like people who make me feel tired.

Corky's Fan Box

Corky on Facebook

ARCHIVE

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed